Thursday, May 29, 2014

Another Helmet Update

Isaiah and I traveled to DuPont together again this week.  Before that, we tried to keep Isaiah used to the helmet idea. ;-)


This is pretty much how it went when I walked in to Lawalls with Isaiah and the helmet in my bag instead of on Isaiah's head....basically, the guy's face looked like this:

Nice impersonation, Isaiah.

I explained to him what happened over the weekend and how scary it was.  Funny thing is, when I put Isaiah in the car seat with the helmet, for some reason his chin didn't go down to his chest.  I even picked him up twice and repositioned him, just trying to problem solve what the heck happened over the weekend.


Isn't that the way it always is?  Oh well, it was a blessing in disguise.  I thought to myself "oh boy, I can totally drive with him wearing his helmet!"  Once on our way out of DuPont (helmet on Isaiah), we started toward our first visit to Nan Nan, Pop Pop and Aunt Tricia's house (they don't live too far from DuPont, so it only made sense to visit).  Well, it's a good thing I have a mirror in the car so that I can see Isaiah because I turned a corner, looked back at him, and his head had fallen forward.  To make it worse, he didn't have enough neck strength at the time to lift his head back up! I pulled over and pulled his head back then found my way to a parking lot where I popped the helmet off again.

Basically I'm back to square one when it comes to the car seat.  I told our OT about the pickle that we're in and she suggested putting a roll all the way around his neck, we're trying that.  We're also considering trying to put something in front of his helmet, across the top of the car seat, to make it so his head doesn't fall forward.  We have PT today, so we'll see what she says.

Anyways, we made our way to a quick visit with family (they had an appointment to get to so we couldn't stay long).


How many people hang welcome signs for their grandchild/nephew? Isaiah, you're spoiled.

He finally met his Uncle Simba, 
who ran away right after this picture was taken because Isaiah screamed in excitement. 

We had a great visit.  I kind of loved how they were so enamored with him.  He was babbling up a storm and loving playing on the floor in front of them.  And when he rolled over? They all almost had heart attacks, which made me laugh. :-P

Yesterday we had a whole day at home, so Isaiah spent the entire day (naps included) wearing his helmet!

We're skipping nights for a few days...since we're starting the schedule over...and well, mostly because we don't want to face the whole "how do we make this work with the cannula" debacle yet (let's just be happy he can breathe with it on, huh?).   We're happy that Isaiah is tolerating the helmet during the day.  He's getting fussy quicker but he's still spending the majority of the time smiling and playing.

We have another appointment next week.  I'm emailing his pulmonologist to help us problem solve the cannula problem.  We're hoping he can help us and that we can keep Isaiah in his helmet 23 hours a day asap.

And yes, I totally still have to decorate it.  I bought some stickers to pop on there.  We'll see if I can get to sticking them on today...

No comments:

Post a Comment