Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Perspective

Perspective is an amazing thing.

Sunday night we had a rain storm.  A rain storm that, according to the national weather service, dumped about 2 to 2.5 inches of rain in about 3 hours.  We heard it and thought nothing of it.  Thankfully, Dave ran downstairs early in the morning to grab something and found the laundry room....with a big ole puddle of water.  He let me know and did some detective work.  It hit the carpet too. Sigh.

We've had it bad once before in the 2 years we were here- during Hurricane Lee...but that was a "once in a 30 year storm".  We've since had an issue in the laundry room twice but lucked out everywhere else so we didn't make waterproofing a priority. Woopsie. Life lesson learned.

Before Isaiah existed in our world, I was a bit of a pessimist.  When this situation happened before, I was a big baby about it.  Don't get me wrong, tears have been shed over the past 2 days...I mean, this is a pregnant lady's nightmare.  I have been an organizing and cleaning machine and I was so confident that we were "ready for Isaiah" and this has set us back quite a bit when it comes to feeling "ready".


Now, with Isaiah growing inside of me, I think, "this could be worse".  My view on what really stinks has really changed.  We still have a roof over our heads.  We can salvage everything but a little carpet padding, and that can be replaced.  We've already scheduled a waterproofing company to come and help us avoid this from happening ever again as well as a carpet company who told us what to do to get it dry (and saved us $300-$400 by telling us how to DIY it) and will be back after the waterproofing is done to replace the padding we got rid of, stretch the carpet, and sanitize it all.  

It may happen while we are giving birth...but it'll happen; it'll be fixed.  Luckily we have family who will stay at the house to oversee everything if it's needed.  My dream would have been to have the house "perfect and ready for Isaiah" but ya know what? That's not important.  What's important is we have our home, we have each other, we have our baby.  

And, well, if my crazy pessimistic sides creeps up again, I'll just hide in the nursery...(We have a crib!)

This post should totally be on our house page...but I didn't want to ignore this blog for another 3 weeks (that's how long it is until our next appointment)...so consider it a brain dump.  

We hope everyone is staying dry; don't worry, the sun will be shining again soon.  Enjoy your 4th of July, friends, family, and blog readers....<3

-Vicky






No comments:

Post a Comment